At some point in their life everyone does it. More than likely it will be stressful, hot, dirty, result in arguments among family members, and generally, not be a pleasant experience. It is moving from one home to another. However, there are numerous ways that you can make it in to a better experience for all involved.
1. First, and foremost, hire Calgary Movers. You may think that you can move everything yourself, but, inevitably, you will regret it. Decide on the date and book as soon as possible.
2. As soon as you learn that you are moving, start preparing yourself. Begin collecting boxes of all sizes, buying sturdy tape, gathering up a few permanent markers, and saving newspapers and bubble wrap. Make a check list of everything you will need to do including switching utilities from the old address to the new one.
3. Get rid of some stuff. This is the perfect time to get rid of some of the objects you have been holding on to for years that you do not need such as clothes, shoes, baby items, old dishes, papers, and books. If you have not used them in years give them away, sell them, or whatever you must do to get them out of the way.
4. Start by boxing up the items that you do not use as frequently as others such as out of season clothes, toys, books, shoes. Make sure that you can do without them for a couple of weeks until everything is done. Put them in boxes according to the room they will be going to. Mark what room and a general description of what is in the box on the outside. Do not leave a box unmarked. You may think that you can remember what you put in that weird shaped box, but more often than not you will forget.
5. Clean as you go. It is much simpler to leave all those extra papers, dust bunnies, etc where you find them, you will have to clean it up eventually and then you will be kicking yourself for not doing it before.The closer that you get to packing, the more you can start packing of stuff you use regularly. It is best to have a box or two specifically for items you use daily that you can unpack immediately after arriving.
6. Remember to take special care when packing breakable or valuable items. Wrap them carefully. If it a small item such as jewelry, you may be better off moving it in your car rather than bothering the movers with it.
7. Pay particular attention to your electronics. If you have the original packaging, but it back in there to move it. If not use a sturdy box and wrap them in something soft. Unplug the cords and label what exactly they go to make things easier when you arrive at the new place.
8. If at all possible, find your children a place to go during the big day. Yes, they are cute and can be helpful, but before the day is out they will be driving you crazy. Do yourself and them a favor and send them to a friend. It may be good to leave your pets with friends as well. You do not want to worry about your pets escaping through an open door.
9. Before the movers arrive, have a plan and be ready to go. It is advisable that you have an insurance policy in place just in case. You never know what can, and will, happen.
10. Allow the movers to do their job. You hired them to move the big items so that they would arrive at the new place in the same condition that they left in. They will also take the small boxes. It is best to let the movers pack the truck the way they are accustomed to. They, most likely, know the best ways to pack it so that everything is safe and secure.
11. Tell the movers what rooms to place everything in so that it is convenient for you.
12. Enlist your friends to help you unpack. This is the perfect time to call in favors. Of course, take care of them and provide food and drinks.
There is a reason that moving is in the top three most stressful experiences that you will face. It is difficult and time consuming. Follow the tips above and let our Calgary moving companies get you in to your new place. Calgary apartment movers and Calgary house movers will assist you in making it as easy a transistion as possible.